Sunday, June 12, 2022

A Sweet Yeast Dough -- Nondairy


A favorite recipe for a "traditional" yeast dough for bakery treats such as long rolls or shaped into three- cornered pastry called Hamantaschen. 



This yeast dough is fun to make and what is most important, it is easy to handle. It was not the holiday of Purim so I did not make hamantaschen but used the dough to make a prune-filled roll. I used canned prune filling for the dough as had it in my pantry and time to use it. The filling seemed a bit runny so I added a bit of honey, lemon juice, and ground almonds that I keep in the freezer.

This recipe involves letting the dough raise two times, doubling in size each time.

The ingredients I use for the easy- to- handle dough are as follows:


1 1/4 tsp yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1/4 cup sugar (or a bit less)

1/4 cup canola oil

1 egg

2 cups unbleached flour -- plus a few pinches of flour to knead the dough


I mixed the yeast with the warm water and added a bit of the sugar and waited a few minutes until bubbles appeared. then added the remaining sugar, oil, egg and the two cups of flour.

I mixed all the ingredients and kneaded the dough until smooth and no longer sticking to the side of the bowl. I added a couple pinches of flour to keep the dough from sticking. I floured the bowl, covered with a kitchen towel and allowed it to raise for about an hour. 

I love parchment paper and lined a large cookie sheet with the paper. I rolled the dough on the parchment paper and the paper helped me roll the dough in a long roll.

I rolled the dough into a rectangle and added prune filling and some cinnamon to the middle,  rolled it up and put it in a cold oven to rise for another hour or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 375 F.

A reference to this dough is at:

Reviving a Yeasted Hamantaschen Recipe Nearly Lost to the Soviet Era — Jewish Food Society



No comments: